Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Love-Hate Relationship with And

Two weeks ago, I began a final edit of my first manuscript. About the third paragraph in, I felt like I was reading it for the very first time--I’ve read it about seven times. Turns out I have a real problem with the word AND. I must have used it every third heartbeat while I was writing. I used it where I should simply have put a comma, period, or nothing at all.

After editing my way through the rest of it, taking out about sixty or so dozen ANDs, I am amazed how much smoother it reads. That I read it so many times without ever noticing that glaring problem was disturbing. But, it’s fixed now! As I’m working on this new book, I’ve been hyper vigilant not to let the same thing happen. I’ve learned my lesson. While I think AND is an important word, obviously needed, there are definite advantages to finding a way to write around it.

Now, I’m curious if anyone else has a problem word?

3 comments:

  1. I do! I really like the word feel, others don't like it so much. Oh yes and hope and perhaps and I'm sure I could think of more. I have a word problem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun problem to have, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem with the word "that" I use it way to often and have to really watch for it. So I know exactly what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete